Wednesday, January 17, 2007

making a living

I didn't know what I wanted to be if I grew up.

Went straight from high school into waitressing, fast food, etc. and within a year into office assistant type stuff, did word processing and data entry for a while, then started helping with editing and proofreading a publication ... wasn't long before I was "suggesting" layout changes to the designer, and finally realized the job I wanted to be doing was called "graphic designer."

One of the great and horrible truths of graphic design, is almost anyone can learn and use the software. There is ugly stuff out there in print because someone COULD do it. But many SHOULD NOT. There is art involved in great design, and not everyone is an artist.

I went to a community college a few years ago and got a certificate that shows I really do know how to do what I've been doing for a living for over a decade. There were a few really talented people in my classes, and some that really needed to rethink their career path.

That doesn't mean that I think everything I do is golden. Most of the time, I think my work is crap, and need validation from my clients. At times, they like what I throw together in minutes better than what I slave over for days. Other times, they take what I feel is my best layout, and change it into something dismal, and then love it more than the gem they destroyed. That is the price a graphic designer pays... their artwork is subject to "critique by committee."

One of the things I enjoy most about CafePress is the freedom to design my way. Sometimes, I put complete crap out there, in a hurry, and it sells. Other times, I work very hard on a design, tweak until I feel it is perfect and will sell hundreds... and no one bites. Nature of the beast.

I invite you to take a look at what items HAVE sold recently at freelief.com designs and iHope cancer fundraiser by visiting me on myspace and viewing my pics. I'd love to see your comments.

No comments: