Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Others amuse me too.

So I'm sitting in the left turn lane of a busy five lane road, blinker on, waiting for a break in traffic to complete my left turn. There is a person in a vehicle behind me, that I can see quite plainly in my rear view mirror.

Apparently she has noticed a window of opportunity that I chose not to take, being rather stiff and sore this morning and not prone to jerky driving movements. Perhaps I *could* have made it, if I'd jammed on the gas pedal and cranked the wheel, I *might* have been able to shoot through that brief pause in steady traffic. It's conceivable.

But I was rather amused at the display of disbelief in my rear view, the shocked look of thinly veiled anger, the hands thrown in the air. How DARE I not go when that opportunity was so very available?

So there I sat, in the left turn lane, blinker steadily blinking without enthusiasm, waiting for the next suitable gap in traffic, and completing my turn more slowly than normal because I can barely turn my neck; something is pinched in my shoulder and extremely painful. It had to have been at least 15 seconds later, maybe 20, when I made my bold move. She rides my bumper as I once again use my turn signal half a block later, and slowly approach a drive on the right, taking great care not to bounce a tire off the sharp edged curb.

I wish I had so few other things to be stressed about that the simple act of someone missing a left turn opportunity could bring me so much angst. I waved as she passed and hoped her day would get better.

No comments: