Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Was it you?

Were you that lady in front of me at the supermarket?

The well dressed lady that asked the check-out lane staff to go back and get you an item you failed to pick up while shopping?

Then, five minutes later, instructing the clerk exactly where the item was, and what it was called, after she couldn't find it, and sending her back?

Then, another five minutes later, telling her no, that wasn't the right kind of water, wrong label, wrong size, sending another check-out employee back to the beverage aisle to find the exact product you wanted, describing in detail where it was in the aisle and what it was next to?

Then, yet another five minutes later, being frustrated that the store staff could not fetch your missing item, and apparently miffed that the check-out clerk finally put a hold on your order and had you stand aside so they could ring through the people who had been standing in line all this time?

My upbringing prevented me from loudly inquiring as to why you did not, 1.) go and get the item yourself, as your mobility did not seem compromised, or 2.) if the former option was for some reason not feasible, finalizing your purchase at the check-out lane and then inquiring at the appropriately-named "Guest Services" counter after your specific bottled water needs.

No, I thought of quite a few things to say, but I smiled politely and waited quietly, moreso than the woman behind me trying to entertain a youngster who was clearly past naptime and needing to get home more urgently than myself.

You know, a simple "Sorry" from you would have prevented me from sharing this story. I can't imagine not apologizing, to the store employees, and to the other patrons waiting, for your curious display.

I've learned that everything happens for a reason, and maybe that day had I been 15 minutes earlier leaving the parking lot, I could have been in a terrible accident. Lady, you could have saved my life that day. But I will still wonder what manner of upbringing you must have had, that you felt that the lowly supermarket clerks were your personal shoppers and your lack of the simplest acknowledgement of the inconvenience you bestowed upon others.

Maybe you should do your shopping online. :)

No comments: